Laura Calhoun has represented clients in the areas of employment law, business law, collections law and general civil litigation since 1991. As a board certified legal specialist in labor and employment law, Laura works tirelessly to support clients in a broad range of employment disputes, including discrimination, hostile work environment and retaliation claims under Title VII, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the FMLA and the Texas Labor Code. Laura has also litigated overtime claims and collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act. She has appeared before and filed/defended numerous claims with state and federal agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Texas Workforce Commission’s-Civil Rights Division and the Department of Labor.
Laura has also briefed a variety of employment law issues over the years, including a case that was heard by the United States Supreme Court and resulted in a favorable change in the law under the Americans With Disabilities Act. See Cleveland v. Policy Management Systems, 526 U.S. 795, 143 L. Ed. 2d 966, 119 S. Ct. 1597 (1999).
As part of her legal specialization, Laura drafts employee policy handbooks and routinely provides counseling to business owners and managers on the steps necessary for compliance with state and federal employment laws regarding hiring, firing, discipline, wages and compensation, sexual harassment and other anti-discrimination/harassment/retaliation policies.
With over 20 years of experience, Laura is knowledgeable on a variety of state and federal employment law claims and regularly advises employers and employees on negotiating and drafting employment contracts, non-compete agreements, non-solicitation agreements, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, independent contractor agreements and severance agreements. Other issues handled include business confidentiality, protection against theft of trade secrets and tortious interference with contracts and business relations.
A member of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Laura gained admission to practice before Texas state courts in 1991. She also practices before the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit. She earned a Bachelor of Science from Texas A&M University and obtained her Juris Doctor from South Texas College of Law.
Area of Practice
- Employment and Labor Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified – Labor and Employment Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2007
- State Bar of Texas, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- South Texas College of Law
- Juris Doctor, 1991
- Texas A&M University
- Bachelor of Science, 1987
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers® by Thomson Reuters, 2012 – 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Plano Bar Association; Board Member since 2006
- State Bar of Texas, Employment Law Section
Past Employment Positions
- Law Office of Laura Calhoun, P.C.
- Partner, September 2012-April 2015
- Calhoun Pena Corsentino, P.C.
- Partner, May 2011 – August 2012
- Albin Harrison Roach
- Associate Attorney, June 2007 – May 2011
- Calhoun & Pena, PLLC
- Partner, April 2003 – May 2007
- Law Office of John E. Wall, Jr.
- Associate Attorney, December 1991 – March 2003