Close this search box.
Close this search box.

At Albin Oldner Law, we recognize that family law issues can be daunting, especially when they involve potential legal consequences like contempt of court. Whether you’re facing challenges with compliance or considering enforcement actions against another party, understanding the implications and possible punishments for contempt in family court is crucial.

Our highly competent attorneys are here to guide you through these complexities with empathy and expertise. Let’s explore what contempt of court means in family law and how it can impact your case. For further questions, please call our Frisco family law attorneys at (214) 423-5100.

What constitutes contempt of court in family law?

Contempt of court in family law occurs when an individual willfully disobeys a court order. This can include failing to pay child support, spousal support, not adhering to a visitation schedule, or any other court mandate in a family law case.

Types of contempt in family court

Civil contempt

Civil contempt is often used to enforce compliance with court orders. Its primary aim is to compel obedience to the court’s directive. For example, if someone refuses to pay child support, civil contempt can be used to enforce payment.

Criminal contempt

This punishment is for acts that disrespect or disregard the court’s authority. Criminal contempt includes actions taken during court proceedings, such as outbursts or other disruptive behaviors, that directly challenge the court’s authority.

Punishment for contempt of court in family court


The court can impose fines for both civil and criminal contempt. These are intended to punish the offending party or accumulate until the court order is obeyed.

Jail time

A judge might order jail time to compel obedience, particularly in cases of repeated non-compliance. Jail time is a method of enforcement for civil contempt, and it is a punitive measure for criminal contempt.

Compensatory visitation

In cases involving visitation interference, the court may award additional visitation time to the non-offending parent to compensate for the time lost due to the other parent’s non-compliance.

Payment of attorney’s fees

If one party is found in contempt, the court may order them to pay the other party’s attorney’s fees as part of the consequences.

Navigating contempt proceedings with Albin Oldner Law

At Albin Oldner Law, we understand how stressful and confusing contempt proceedings can be. Whether you are facing a contempt charge or need to initiate contempt proceedings against someone else, our experienced attorneys are here to provide legal advice and representation. Here’s how we can help.

Preventive advice

We help ensure you fully understand your obligations under a court order to prevent accidental non-compliance. Our team can explain the details of your orders and the potential consequences of contempt.

Defense in contempt charges

If you are accused of contempt, we provide a robust defense based on the specifics of your situation. We advocate vigorously on your behalf, whether it’s demonstrating that the violation wasn’t willful or that you could not comply with the court order.

Initiating contempt proceedings

If your ex-partner is not complying with a court order, we can help you file for contempt. We ensure that all procedural requirements are met and represent your interests in court to seek the enforcement of the order.

Understanding Texas law

The Texas Family Code outlines specific provisions related to enforcement and penalties for non-compliance with court orders. Familiarizing yourself with these can help you better understand the potential implications of contempt in family court.

We’re here to help you navigate contempt of court in family law

Albin Oldner Law believes in a compassionate approach to legal representation, especially concerning sensitive family matters. If you have questions about contempt of court or need legal assistance, please contact us for expert guidance.

Related Posts

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact Us
Skip to content