Plano Modification Lawyers

Making Important Changes to Custody Orders & More

Once a judge issues a decree for a divorce or family law case, it can understandably feel like the orders are set and can’t be changed. However, that’s not always the case. When life changes, it sometimes becomes necessary for court orders to keep up.

If you need to have a custody or support order changed, or any other type of family law or divorce order altered, come to Albin Oldner Law, PLLC in Plano, Texas. Our team is highly familiar with the ins and outs of Texas family laws, including how to modify or enforce them. Tell us how your life has changed, and we can see if the court orders in your life can be changed, too, so your situation is less stressful.

On This Page:

Talk to our Plano modifications attorneys by dialing (214) 225-4325 now.

What Types of Court Ruling Can Be Modified in Family Law?

Family law modifications are meant to make your life easier when the current orders are no longer tenable. This legal process can be used for a variety of different court orders, too. If a court order is making your life more difficult, and you think there could be a reasonable solution with a modification, then let us see what can be done about it.

Family court orders that can be modified include the following and more:

  • Child custody: A child custody order can be modified if the resulting change still reflects the child’s best interests.
  • Child support: Child support orders can be modified to increase or decrease the amount paid, depending on both parents’ financial situation and the needs of the child.
  • Spousal support: When spousal support payments are too much or not enough, a modification might be the most appropriate solution.

Grounds for Family Court Order Modifications

Family court modifications are possible in many situations, but they are often difficult to achieve. Courts and judges don’t like making changes to their orders unless absolutely necessary. Furthermore, any modification made to an order that affects a child must uphold that child’s best interests.

A family court order modification can be justified if:

  • Your ex-spouse is now abusive or negligent toward your child, so a child custody order modification is necessary.
  • Your ex-spouse is using parental alienation techniques to try to make your child despise you.
  • Your income changed dramatically and unexpectedly, so you need to pay less spousal support.
  • Your child’s needs increased, so you need to receive more child support.
  • You must relocate to another county or state for your work or health, so primary custody of your child must be updated.

The above list is in no way exhaustive of the reasons why a court might accept modifying a court order. However, no matter the reason that you want a modification, it must be necessary based on newly changed situations, and the solution must be reasonable and not counteract an involved child’s best interests.

How Often Can You Modify a Court Order?

Texas family law courts typically do not allow an order to be modified more than once a year. By restricting how often an order can be changed, the goal is to ensure that the change was necessary in the first place. Of course, there are always situations in which it makes sense to modify a court order, regardless of when it was last modified. For example, if another modification would help protect your child’s well-being, such as if their current living situation with your ex-spouse became unsafe, then the court might approve it.

Enforcement of Court Orders & Modifications

After a family court order has been modified, there is no guarantee that it will be followed by your ex-spouse or other affected family members. Albin Oldner Law, PLLC can help you with the enforcement of court orders, including those that have been newly modified. We can compel the court to take steps to enforce the modification, just as it could for original orders.

Court order modification enforcement could be necessary if your ex-spouse is:

  • Not paying you the owed spousal support or child support.
  • Not picking up your child from school or taking them to appointments.
  • Not following through with the sale of your family home or another piece of marital property that was to be divided.

Get Legal Help for Modifications Today

Modifying a court order is tricky by default. Make sense of it with the help of our Plano modification attorneys. It would be our pleasure to help you draft or enforce a modification or figure out how to respond to a modification if your ex-spouse petitioned for one.

Get our legal help by calling (214) 225-4325 or contacting us online.

    The attorneys at Albin Oldner Law, PLLC are very personable and treat their clients as people rather than just another case.

    - A. Hailey

    Should I ever require the need for representation with any future actions, should they occur; I would not hesitate to call upon Albin Oldner.

    - M.C.

    Todd and his team have taken care of all our business and litigation needs for years. I wouldn’t trust any other firm to provide the same level of service and counsel.

    - Matt Lafata

Let Our Firm Help

Get a Consultation Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.